A shot from the Battle of Moscow sequel. Do you care? After all, you already paid once for a sim that was a buggy mess. 1C hopes you care enough to pay again, because "on the success and timely appearance of a new game depends all our future."
You've given up waiting for a patch to make Cliffs of Dover playable for you right? Or, you did have it working, but the latest beta patch porked it for you so you gave up (well, beta is beta boyo!). Or it's good enough for you in its current state and you are happily playing with it, buggy mess that it is.
I know I have moved on. There are too many other sims and games out there which run just fine on my machine, and are fun! (CoD to me is more like work, than fun, in its current state).
The next official update is however 'around the corner', so maybe when it arrives it will be worth firing up CoD again.
The latest from 1C unofficial spokesperson, BlackSix - 2 Sept 2012 - is below (but isn't it sad even he no longer bothers to post updates on the English language official 1C game website, only in Russian, on the Sukhoi forum? Says it all really.):
"a) At the moment, the main goal for CloD - to bring the current series of beta patches to the final status and publication on Steam. After that, the leadership will have take a decision on the future of the game.
b) We have a very tight schedule for a sequel. We are now focused with full strength on it, as of the success and timely appearance of a new game depends all of our future. "
So, the next update, if and when it arrives, will be the last.
Nothing more will be done with Cliffs of Dover, all efforts are being put into Battle for Moscow, or Stalingrad, or whatever it is, and CoD owners can just hope it is a backward compatible 'merge' install as was done with IL2 expansions, so that improvements in the new game will update the basic engine in the CoD scenario too.
In any case, here are some more of his Sukhoi updates, in case your Russian is rusty:
- Readme for last beta? Coming with next official patch
- Mini-patch for LOD/Tree shadows? - Fixed
- .Net crash on exit (Microsoft .net security updates causing?) fixed
- When will we get all damage decals back? (small calibre hits etc) some fixed still more work to be done
- When will we get the Clouds back? - lower level clouds are back - high altitude clouds still being worked on
- Is the SDK being worked on again yet? Timeframe for release? Before sequel or after? Low priority
- Is there a plan to implement Anti Aliasing or any of the newer full scene anti aliasing (FXAA, MLAA, TSAA etc)?? Timeframe for release? Before sequel or after? Yes, we are planning to make normal AA in the future. The main task now is fixing and debugging new game engine.
- Is SLI/Crossfire support going to be working again soon now that you have almost finished the graphics engine rewrite? Is it a priority? Luthier says working with Nvidia for driver level profile
- Mini-patch for Hurricane start issues? fixed
- Will the 'weather' option be reset to original on RAF aircraft for more a more realistic appearance? skin weathering effects still being worked on
- Will the Channel map coop problem be fixed to allow us to use it as originally intended? No further plans for co-op addition or changes
- Does the ".cs" file have a character limit? OR Is the ".cs" file limited to so many functions or abilities? No & No
- Why is there not a gladiator static object? We'll add this plane in the next patch maybe Only as a static object. And CR.42 too, maybe.
- Any news on progress on the AI? There are still a lot of crashings of AI, in the air and on the ground. Could you give me links with bug-reports about crashings of AI on this forum? I'll show them to our programmers if they didn't see.
- clouds: shadows and self-shadows, reflection on water, source light influences, etc.. are you working on them, and when they will be added (back)? We are working on them, they will be added in one of the patches, when they will be ready
- - Radio Comms.. any progress in this area? is some programmer assigned to and working on it, or it was postponed? I need full list of bugs in the last beta-patch. Our programmer are working on it.
- - AI.. any progress in this area? is some programmer assigned to and working on it, or it was postponed? Our programmers are working on it.
- I will add to the above and ask if the FM are still been worked? FM are still been worked, we'll tell when we'll stop all work for CloD.
- do the development team look at the bugtracker at all? Some of our programmers look at the bugtracker, some of our programmers can't read English, some of our programmers visit bug-threads only on the Sukhoi.ru. I don't study a bugs, this is not my work. If I see question about problem with game I need link with bug-report.
- I know this is a long shot but it would nice for the reds to get another bomber. I know you have already stated that the modellers are all working on the sequal. We can't make new planes or cockpits for CloD. We can fix only now.
- Has the skin weathering bug being addressed? Yes, we know about this bug
- Are the problems with interior and exterior sound problems still being worked on for the official patch, for example, damage or hit sounds? Do you have links with bug-reports about sound problems?
- Can you give a waiting time estimate on this "final patch"? I can't. Nobody know this now.
- Focke-Wulf 190. When? If we'll make appropriate theater of operation then we'll make FW-190.
- - some chrono doesn't work, - magneto switch auto at engine start, - need to make a key for armed bomb and switch low altitude, (no feature in cockpit), -need to make a key for starting engine ( no click in cockpit availlable) Maybe we'll make something, I can't say about our plans
- will see pilots animations in the future like bailing out open canopy etc Maybe in the sequel.
- You mentioned ages ago the devs were working on improving the ground handling of aircraft. Is this included in the current beta? Maybe in the sequel.
- It was also mentioned that the flight model was being improved by making lift calculations at different points along the wing. Have these changes been released yet? We'll tell about this in the readme if we'll make this
- Will the spit cockpit be fixed I.e. rim wheel animations, corrected read outs etc Maybe
- Su26 ... what about that ? ? Ilya said last year: "You’ll get to fly it". I have no new info.
- Are the development team aware of the fact that the 'engine temperature effects' setting of the game reduces the performance of all aircraft in the game by varying amounts when switched on? Affecting some aircraft more than others? To be discussed with the FM programmer. :UPDATED: 28-8-2012
- Are there plans to accept 3rd party ground objects to be imported into CLOD, such as buildings, trees, static objects etc. We have no this plans.
- In the current Beta-Patch, many Radio-Commands are removed compared to
the last official version. Are you planing to fix only the
radio-commands of the last beta or all the radio commands, including the
radio-commands from the last official version?
I think we are planing to fix only the radio-commands of the last beta. We have no time for full rework.
- Is dedicated server going to be available? Timeframe for release? Before sequel or after?
- If no dedicated server is being worked on (above) is the MP code still being worked on and what improvements would you like to make?
- Are you expecting further maximum FPS improvement or are you focusing on minimum and average FPS and removing micro stutters?
- Will there be an improvement to the GUI for setting up control device axes? Compare to old IL-2 where it was very simple to do.
- Will there ever be a document or readme what the graphics options in conf.ini do or could they be integrated as Options in Graphics, if applicable?
- Will the user interface be simplified or implimented as per 1946 to allow easier use?
- Will a QMB function be set as above to expand single player
3 We will try to work on all fronts
4-5-6-7 We are not planning this now for CloD