Announcing a new mission package for Cliffs of Dover: Battle for Malta!
Using Mediterranean textures and skins by Vasiliy Kucheraviy, Malta concept and mission design by Heinkill.
This release is intended to enable people to set up the mod on their systems and play around with it before the full mission package is complete.
Get the the basic mod installer here: http://sdrv.ms/15N8TNS
This download contains the necessary mod files, landscape and aircraft skins:
To install, check out this video, or see instructions below:
HOW TO INSTALL: PART 1
1. Create a separate copy of your IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover game folder on your hard drive. Instructions on how to do that are here:
I recommend you rename the copied folder something like 'IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod'
2. Download and unpack the zip file to your desktop. There are two exe files inside: maltasetup1 and maltasetup2
3. Run maltasetup1 and when you are prompted, point the installer at the directory you have just created with your new copy of the IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover copied folder 'IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod' . If you point the installer to this folder, the mod files will be automatically installed into the root directory of your new copy.
You can check this by seeing if you now have a folder called 'DESERT' and a file called 'kegetys.dll' in the new directory. If so, the install was successful.
4. In explorer, go into your new IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod' directory and locate the launcher.exe program which starts IL2 CoD, Right click and drag this program to your desktop and when you let go of the mouse button you should be prompted to 'create shortcut here'. Create a shortcut for this program on your desktop and rename it 'Malta'.
5. Right click on the new shortcut and select properties, then click on the 'shortcut' tab. In the 'target' field where it says something like "C:\Malta IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\launcher.exe" leave a space and then type
The full line should now look like something this: "C:\Malta IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\launcher.exe" -mod=desert
6. To run the mod you just double click on this shortcut to start the Malta Mod version of CoD.
If you are successful you should see this splash screen when the game is loaded and you reach the menu screen.
At this point you can go to the quick mission menu, choose a quick mission over England, and quickly fly to check that the desert textures have been installed.
You should set trees to low or v low, depending on your preference, for the most realistic look.
PART 2: SKINS and DEMO MISSIONS
Now you can install the skins and demo missions.
1. From your desktop where you unpacked the Malta exe files, run 'maltasetup2' and follow the prompts
2. This time when you are prompted where to install the files, you should choose your user content folder, which is usually something like:
C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover
If you choose this folder and click next, the skins and missions will be automatically installed. If you don't pick a folder, they will just be dumped into your MyDocuments folder for you to install manually.
3. To check whether the files have installed correctly, start your Malta mod and go to the Single Missions Menu. You should see the two new single missions:
Now you can fly them and check that your skins have also correctly installed. You should see scenes like this:
The full mission pack with 25 missions focused on the first two years of the seige of Malta, will be available before Christmas 2013.