Search This Blog

Sunday, April 27, 2014

War Thunder Ground Forces

Clank, clang, bang...dead.

That was my experience in War Thunder Ground Forces Beta Weekend.

I was one of the lucky 3,000 who grabbed a beta key and started trundling around the (Ardennes?) forest in a tank.

Not me. This tank is not burning.

I managed to get into three games, and lasted a total of about 5 minutes in each before my panzer was a smoking hulk.

War is Hell.

First part of the confusion started trying to get the game to recognise my key. Had to log out and log in again...duh. There it was.

The big question is how it compares to World of Tanks I guess. I wouldn't know as I am not a Tanker.

So I borrow from my friend Korczakowski:

1. The graphics are so nice that you cannot even dream of comparing to WoT, yet I get relatively the same FPS which is not bad at all. On max graphics I get 20-30 fps and on low (which I usually use) gives me 50-60 fps.

2. Ping spikes seem worse for me than on WoT. Probably just my (Insert profane word) cheap as (insert another profane word) internet provider. There were times my ping spiked up well over 1000 ms making the game unplayable for me. But I'm on a tight budget so there's not much I can do.

3. The vehicle's movement especially turning felt very "slippery" is the only word I can find to describe. I'm not sure what it feels like to drive a real tank, but it may just be because I'm so used to driving WoT tanks where it's likely artificially smooth riding.

4. I like how it's not a hit point bar system. I always hated that cheesy system from WoT.

5. I like how there are ground AI to kill. Makes me feel not so useless since I'm playing weak light tanks to start out.

6. I felt the mouse scroll view didn't go very far enough out and was really sluggish especially when using it to change from 3rd person to 1st person view (In arcade/realistic that is). I haven't tried simulator.

7. I like the reticle for the gun and how you actually need to aim the gun to compensate for the drop of the shell.

8. I'm hoping they add some US tanks aswell as most other nations.

They will. 

And there are still a few glitches, some of them hilarious. 

See this video of the '31st Panzer Cliff Diving Battalion'.




No comments:

Post a Comment